Details of the BFA insurance policy
This document is a general overview of the BFA insurance policy. If you have specific questions or would like a copy of the policy, please contact Dive Master Insurance.
Download the latest copy of the insurance policy: BFA Insurance 2011
- It is underwritten by Dive Master Insurance Consultants Ltd on behalf of certain underwriters at Lloyds
- Dive Master have been insuring dive related risks since 1987
- Dive Master are registered with and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority for the provision of this insurance.
- The BFA policy provides Civil Liability cover up to 2,000,000 pounds any one claim
- The legal defence costs are unlimited
- The policy is a far ranging cover and provides cover for all BFA activities not just "in water" activities
- It covers liability as a result of failure to give advice and not giving any advice, so shore based teaching activities are covered
- It covers the BFA for public liability at shows and non diving events, social events, fund raisers etc
- The policy is world wide but will not defend a US or Canadian brought law suit in the US or Canada, you would be defended if the suit was brought against you outside of the US or Canada however.
- The policy covers all the Committee, members of the BFA and visitors for temporary visits that are under direct supervision or control by BFA instructors, like public training days etc.
- The liability cover covers BFA members onshore, in the classroom and offshore in the water and to use any boat up to 15 metres in length. The boat doesn't have to be owned by a member, but it does have to be under his control and supervision. This allows the BFA members to draft in boats for an organised event or competition and so long as they are competent to handle the boat, it takes away the issue of who is responsible. Members should notify the insurer if they intend any unusual use of vessels, as the insurer can agree this in writing beforehand.
Dive Master Insurance Consultants Ltd is authorised and regulated by the financial Services Authority (FSA reference number 306316)
Freediving is a potentially dangerous activity. This website
exists only to provide general information about freediving and does not constitute
any form of instruction. Individuals interested in freediving are strongly
encouraged to undertake a course with a qualified instructor and to
never freedive alone. The BFA accepts no liability for injury or death resulting
from the use of information on this website.